Today IT and security teams across the globe are faced with a daunting task: Achieve Application Security Efficacy and Reduce Business Risk. What is even more challenging is the fact that this must be done without causing disruption to employee productivity or customer service.
To avoid disruption to major business functions, it is imperative for teams to ensure the complete security of enterprise apps and data so it is not compromised during potential security breaches.
No matter the industry, many organizations are constantly striving to set up a Windows Application Firewall. WAFs dispel the risks that modern security threats pose.
Here are 6 prerequisites to achieve application security through WAF:
1. The Windows Application Firewall protects applications from the OWASP top 10 attackers. OWASP is a community that collects the list of top attacks on web servers. The firewall must protect applications from OWASP to secure against the most common attacks.
2. The firewall should support both the positive and negative security model. The positive security model rejects all transactions by default, but also gives permission to specific transactions. The negative model is very easy to deploy as it protects against all known exploits.
3. There are many malicious attacks that steal financial information such as credit card details. Compliance such as PCI DSS ensures security from these attacks. Your WAF must be compliant with the latest PCI DSS norms.
4. While going for a Windows Application Firewall, care should be taken to ensure that it does not negatively impact the existing infrastructure.
5. When the infrastructure is distributed in different environments (particularly across geographies), it is important to manage all web applications in a centralized manner.
6. Applications can be vulnerable to various attacks such as cross-site scripting and SQL injections. Therefore, it is even more crucial to prevent such vulnerabilities in software codes by deploying relevant patches.
Using the right tools to set up your windows application firewall is critical. If you want to find out more about how to achieve application security efficacy, click the link below for more information.